The deliberations of the Constitutional Convention of 1787 were held in strict secrecy.
With matters of such great importance being discussed within, naturally, citizens gathered outside Independence Hall when the proceedings ended in order to learn what had been produced behind closed doors.
The answer was provided immediately.
A Mrs. Powell of Philadelphia asked Benjamin Franklin, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
With no hesitation whatsoever, Franklin responded, “A republic, if you can keep it.”
This is how we work to keep it
As an all-volunteer organization, the Republican Party of Virginia Beach members stay informed, engaged and active in not only tending to the needs of our party, but to the needs of our city, state and country. Our representative republic only works when civic-minded people take an active role in government and our party depends on our volunteers to help make it all happen.
Our party always has volunteer opportunities for just about everyone and becoming a party volunteer is a great way to not only meet new friends, but to also gain a better understanding of our our Republic works and work to keep our rights, our liberty and our freedom from eroding. This is why we encourage everyone to participate in the process of our government and work to keep this great republic intact so we can pass it on to generations of Americans yet to come.
What Can You Expect?
If your interest is local, state or national politics, joining a political party is the best way to bring about the change you seek.
You will meet and make new friends with similar interests, you can meet local, state and national candidates for office and senior policy makers and discuss with them the issues that are important to you and your family, neighborhood or co-workers. You can also gain valuable insights behind the "what" government does and the "why" it happened.
You will also have the opportunity to learn new skills, polish up your resume' and network with community activists, business leaders and other public officials. You will also be working to preserve the republic that our founding fathers passed to us so we can preserve it, protect it and pass it on to our future generations.
The Republican Party of Virginia Beach currently has the following volunteer opportunities available;
There are nearly 100 voter precincts in Virginia Beach and every November, we need volunteers for all of them!
One of the goals the Republican Party of Virginia Beach sets for ourselves each November is to have each and every polling station covered by volunteers from the moment the polls open until the last vote is cast.
Each election we need:
- Poll Opener-Someone to set up campaign signs and assure that all the voting machines are set to -0-
- Poll Workers-Friendly faces to greet the voters, pass our literature about our candidates and answer any questions.
- Poll Watchers-Volunteers trained to look for irregularities and represent the interests of the Republican Party in any disputes.
- Poll Closer-Volunteer committed to stay at the polls until the ballots are counted and report these numbers to Republican Party Officials.
The Republican Party of Virginia Beach is proud of the fact that we have had the same centrally located office in Virginia Beach for the past 25 years that is usually open five days per week-depending on volunteers availability.
Headquarters volunteers duties include:
- Answering the Phone-Citizens call to obtain information about our party, voter registration or ask other questions.
- Check-Out Log-Some of our elected officials or candidates need to borrow equipment and it needs to be signed out.
- Light Housekeeping-People come in and out, floors need to be vacuumed and trash needs to be emptied from time to time.
- Locking Up-Making sure that the office and property is kept safe and the doors are locked when your shift is over.
This is a great opportunity to catch up on reading, E-Mail, studying for classes or simply watching the news. Shifts are usually four hours long
and volunteers can leave whether their relief arrives or not.
Of course, as the next election day draws near foot-traffic and telephone calls will increase, new faces will arrive and boxes or packages may be delivered.